Sunday, August 3, 2014

Oak Vale Cemetery Kingfisher County in Oklahoma

Today I went on a search on the red clay back roads of Oklahoma to find my great-great-great grandmother Cerrelda Butterfield's gravestone. In April of 1889, Cerrelda came to Oklahoma with her son-in-law, Joseph Kariker, to stake a claim in the Oklahoma Land Rush. She was 65 years old at the time. She filed a claim for a 160 acre farm located in Columbia Township. She sewed beautiful quilts that my family still has. Cerrelda died in 1909 at the age of 86 and is buried one half mile south and one-half mile west of the homestead. I made this part of the trip in honor of my Grandmother who died this past year at the age of 95. She wrote a fantastic family history that I used to find the location of the cemetery and the homestead.  My grandmother nurtured and supported my love of history! I love and miss her very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment