Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Plaza in Santa Fe, New Mexico

The last stop on my journey was Santa Fe. I have visited Santa Fe many times before, and I was happy to make this the last stop on my trip. In addition to being the capital of New Mexico, Santa Fe is the ending point for the Santa Fe Trail. This wagon route brought settlers west in the 1800s from Missouri and was one of two major routes many settlers used. The trail was also a vital military route used in the Mexican-American War. The picture below is taken in The Plaza, often called "the heart of Santa Fe". This city square dates back to 1610 and contains the Palace of Governors, the oldest municiple building in the United States. The Plaza is home to the Santa Fe Indian Market and it is always fun to walk along and see the jewelry, pottery, and crafts the Native American artists have created. Santa Fe was the perfect place to end my trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment