Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Crater Lake National Park: Cleetwood Trail

Today I headed back to Crater Lake so that I could hike the Cleetwood Trail down to the pristine water of the lake. This mile long trail dropped over 700 feet in a mile and what goes down must go up so this was a nice steep hike out. This trail is the only official trail down to the water and the only way to get to the water. It was interesting to learn that the park service has made the decision to keep the access to the water so limited. The deepest point in the lake is 1,943 feet. When park scientists descended under the depths of the water using a deep water submersible called Deep Rover, they found thick mats of bacteria thriving. Hydrothermal pools also indicated a volcanic heat source below the lake.  Thick bands of moss ring the lake at the 400 foot mark. Scuba and snorkeling are strictly prohibited in the lake and only about 2 percent of the lake has been explored to date. I was interested to see if the water would still be so blue as I got closer and it was. I decided to take a dip in the 59 degree water,  and I had a refreshing but quick swim. I even put my head under the water. It was a great way to end my visit to Crater Lake National Park. 
Blue lake even down close. 
Brrr! My quick swim! 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment