Saturday, July 23, 2016

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area

Before leaving the Oregon coast, I wanted to visit the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area because it is the largest expanse of coastal sand dunes in North America. This park was established in 1972 and is administered by the United States Forest Service.  Some of the dunes reach as high as 500 feet. Parts of the dune area are popular with ATV enthusiasts and sand boarders. I wanted a quieter hike, so I headed to a spot in the park called the Tahkenitch Dunes Trail. This trail highlighted a variety of environments including dense forest, sand dunes, coastal pine woodland, estuary, and beach. The plovers, small wading birds who forage for food along the water's edge, were nesting so I could not take the dogs down to the beach, but we did hike down to the edge of the sand to see the ocean. The forest was cool and beautiful and the  dunes were fun yet challenging to hike. I can see why science fiction writer Frank Herbert was inspired to write his beloved novel Dune after researching the Oregon Dunes area. I am glad I got to hike the dunes today! It was another good, if a bit sandy, adventure! 
Just out of the forest and on the dunes!
Canella and Cache running on the dunes. Happy pups!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment