Sunday, July 17, 2016

General Patton Memorial Museum, Chiriaco Summit, California

I'm off on my second adventure of the summer. The ultimate destinations are Yachats, Oregon and Crater Lake National Park and today is the start of the drive there. As usual, I'm always looking for history as I travel. I found some World War II history today. The General Patton Memorial Museum is on the site of Camp Young where over one million men trained for World War II at the Desert Training Center/California-Arizona-Maneuver-Area. This area was established to prepare American troops for the desert fighting they would encounter in North Africa. General Patton is best known for leading the U.S. Seventh Army in the Mediterranean and the Third Army in France and Germany. General Patton was an effective leader who was much respected and at some times feared by his men. He was known for his rapid tank attacks across France and his unit provided relief to soldiers caught in the Battle of the Bulge. Patton led by example and often joined his men on the front. He had high expectations for those under his command and they worked hard to meet his expectations. I am pleased that I was able to visit a memorial set aside for "Old Blood and Guts" and the many soldiers who trained there. I had no idea that such a large training facility existed in this part of the desert so this was a great surprise stop. 



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment